The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

Discussions about the Professor's poetic verses from Middle-earth
Merry
Varda
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Merry » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:28 pm

0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Iolanthe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:19 pm

0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Oh, that's a classic!!

I've finished reading CT's commentary on the Lay of the Völsungs now so I can start to read the second poem tomorrow. Then I think I'll have to take a proper look at Hiawatha! :D
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:03 am

:lol:
0 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:42 am

Wow! Tolkien's Lay of Gudrún is even more sparse and grab-you-by-the-throat than his Lay of the Völsungs. By reducing description to the barest minimum he draws you right into the tale - I couldn't put it down. Luckily my train journey was long enough for me to be able to read it in one hit :D I found the tale so gripping and vivid that I didn't even blanch at the more bloodthirsty bits - if this had been a piece of prose I probably wouldn't have been able to read it! I lost myself in this poem in a similar fashion to when I read LoTR. Both Lays are good, but I definitely prefer the second one. Go Tolkien!!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 pm

The Tolkien Estate ought to hire you all: you've convinced me I need to buy this book! :D
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:15 pm

0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:00 pm

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 am

0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:58 am

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm now completely flumoxed. Tolkien told that whole story in his second Lay in the book, the The New Lay of Gudrún. It's the one marbretherese and I were discussing above as even more 'grab-you-by-the throat' than The New Lay of the Völsungs. Tolkien clearly relishes that whole second part of the story more than the whole Siegfried thing and brings it vividly to life.
0 x

Lindariel

Postby Lindariel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 pm

My apologies! When I hit the first Commentary section, I thought I was finished with the entire Lay and that the rest of the book was Commentary. Just got to the END of the first Commentary and found the second poem! My bad! Can't wait to see what Tolkien does with Gudrun's path to vengeance.
0 x
Lindariel

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 pm

You won't be able to put it down . . . ! :D
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:34 pm

:lol: That explains everything. I had a feeling that you must have missed it somehow. You'll love it!
0 x

Return to “Tolkien Poetry”