Poetry of J.R.R. Tolkien

Discussions about the Professor's poetic verses from Middle-earth
Iolanthe
Uinen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Iolanthe » Sat May 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Excellent! That's great, Estel, thanks. it's on mine too :D .
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Chrissiejane
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chrissiejane » Sat May 26, 2007 11:07 pm

If you visit the Swedish site Estel has recommended in her post, there is a choice of pages in different languages and currencies, and the EU page is in English, and in Euros, making ordering easier for non-Scandinavians like me.
Thanks Estel for the info and wonderful links.
0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Estel

Postby Estel » Sun May 27, 2007 12:50 am

0 x
Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory.

Estel

Postby Estel » Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 am

0 x
Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising

he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.

Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;

over death, over dread, over doom lifted

out of loss, out of life, unto long glory.

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:44 pm

My copy arrived a couple of days ago, I have not yet had time to listen to the CDs but the book is beautiful - a real treasure, beautifully illustrated and with plenty of background notes as well as the poems themselves. A great edition to anyone's Tolkien collection, so thanks Estel for the links. :)
0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:48 pm

I know you'll enjoy the music, it's very varied, as befits the different poems and all their different styles.
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 pm

0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:12 pm

Wow! You can absolutely sing this to "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General!" Perhaps that was the inspiration for Tolkien's meter. It also has the same kind of rhyme scheme.

I wonder if the Professor would be happy or horrified to realize this? Was he a G&S fan?
0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:38 pm

Well, that was fun, although I'm all out of breath! I doubt that the Professor meant for it to be read as fast as G&S.

Did you catch the 'Dumbledore'? Should JKR have given us a footnote?
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:25 am

0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

An online guide to all things Tolkien

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:45 am

0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:32 pm

0 x
Lindariel

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:58 pm

0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:34 pm

There - I've ruined it for you too! I can't read it now without hearing it sung by several people we know :lol: .

Yep - Lindariel is a pro :D . Another singer in the ranks.

I like your parallel about G&S, Tolkien and being looked down on literary and musical intellectuals. I get as frustrated by those that can't see the brilliance of Tolkien as I am by those that can't see the brilliance of W.S. Gilbert and Sir Arthur Sullivan. In fact I must spend a lot of my time frustrated.... :lol: .

I do think Gilbert would have appreciated errantry for the extremely clever piece it is if he's ever had the pleasure of reading it.
0 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:13 pm

No, no, this discovery hasn't ruined it at all!! it suggests a whole new insight into how Tolkien might have wanted the poem to be seen . . . :) I'm not surprised Tolkien enjoyed G&S - like him, Gilbert loved wordplay and was a master at it - perhaps that's one of the ways we G&S-ophiles (hey! I invented a word! :P ) enjoy Tolkien so much as well - because of his command of language.

I too get frustrated when otherwise apparently intelligent people dismiss Tolkien or G&S out of hand. I don't expect everyone to be keen on them, but some people won't even consider trying to look at their work with an open mind!
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Return to “Tolkien Poetry”