The Hobbit - The Movie: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion of The Hobbit: a good place for Tolkien beginners to start
Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:53 pm

Another possibility for backstory, one that might fit in more with the plot of Hobbit, is the history of the dwarves, especially how they came to lose the Lonely Mountain and their long exile. Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see more Aragorn! But that story line is really only tangential to the Hobbit, I'd have to say. The only intersection is at Rivendell.
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:52 pm

Maybe they'll inlcude a prologue showing the dwarves losing the Lonely Mountain - a bit like the prologue to LotR showing how the Ring was made and lost? Then they can leave the other film free for Aragorn :lol: .
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

lyanness

Post by lyanness » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Iolanthe wrote:Maybe they'll inlcude a prologue showing the dwarves losing the Lonely Mountain - a bit like the prologue to LotR showing how the Ring was made and lost?

There was a major squabble about the prologue between PJ and New Line for the beginning of the TT movie (as per PJ, behind the scenes DVD, extended edition), and since New Line and PJ are having legal disagreements again (Total Films, December issue) - even though PJ says that all issues are resolved, I find it hard to believe that there aren't any hard feelings held by one party - I only hope and pray that the differences that New Line and PJ have very little impact on the quality of film produced.

It worries me that there is friction between the parties at this early stage. Filming hasn't even started yet - and tempers are bound to rise during filming. I'm worried that the Hobbit won't be produced in the end - or worse: that a total hash is made of it that would leave Tolkien grinding his teeth in his grave.

I wait in very nervous anticipation.

:nervous:
I gave hope to men, I have kept no hope for myself.

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:00 am

I think there's a lot of that going around, lyanness. You know, they made the first movies in relative obscurity, but there is a lot of anticipation for the next ones!

Here is some more speculation about casting from TOR.n:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/01/07/28227-speculation-on-hobbit-casting/#more-28227

I don't know if any of it is true, but there are some pictures of some fine looking men in the article!

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am

I like their suggestion of Martin Freeman to play Bilbo - I think of him as an actor born to play a hobbit!!
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Franni

Post by Franni » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm not sure I'm postiing in the right place. Have already put this in the LOTR thread.
There is a special program concerning JRR Tolkien on OUTV today at 3:00pm CST. channel 274 on Direct TV.
Concerns his writing of LOTR and the Hobbit. :lol:

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:12 pm

Thank you Franni. :D
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks Franni :D . Lovely to see you over here :hug:.

Lyanness, I share your worries. I hadn't realised there was still stuff to be resolved between New Line and PJ :nervous:. In the end, though, it's in New Line's interests to be flexible and accomodating. All those mega bucks to fill the coffers!

I like the idea of Martin Freeman too, marbretherese. I think he's a very good actor as well as looking just right!

lyanness

Post by lyanness » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm

I really hope that the casting is speculation as I can't see most of them having patience with the directing style of PJ. He films a scene until it is perfect in his eyes (that's why the LoTR movies, in my opinion, is a masterpiece!!) , and if that means take 55, then they would just have to do that scene 55 times. I don't think that hollywood actors would like that very much.

Some hopefuls, though, although everyone is used to Ian Holms as Bilbo Baggins, and I certainly couldn't see anyone else in that role. I'll be heavily disappointed if someone else fills the shoes of Bilbo.

And then I come to the point of Beren again. The character in the book scares and excites me (in a fearful way). Brian Blessed - as much as I love his acting - doesnt scare me one bit. I wish that I had suggestions instead of whining about it, but the character is a powerful one and the incorrect casting could be disasterous, just like in the case of Frodo in LoTR.

Instead of worrying about it, I think I'll leave it in the hands of the increadibly competent Mr PJ, and know that he'll work wonders once again.

:flower:
I gave hope to men, I have kept no hope for myself.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:31 pm

I think Brian Blessed is a bit too jovial. Although Beorn is welcoming and hospitable there has to be some uncertainty about him, I think.

I would have loved to see Ian Holm as the younger Bilbo, his interpretation in FotR was perfect in every regard, but I think he is just to old now to play a Bilbo younger than the one we saw at the opening of that film. Even with digital magic he wouldn't have the energy and it would compromise the film.

It leave an actor with an awful lot to live up to and PJ with the problem of finding someone who can pass for a young Ian Holm.

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:11 pm

I, too, would love to see Ian Holm return as Bilbo, but it just wouldn't be realistic to expect a nearly 80-year-old man to pull off this very energetic role. I think either Martin Freeman or Kenneth Branagh would be wonderful in the role of the younger Bilbo. If you aren't familiar with Martin Freeman's work, see if you can rent a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He plays a rather Bilbo-like character in this movie and is just fantastic. And as marbretherese mentioned, he looks like he was born to play a hobbit.
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:27 pm

I watched it over Christmas, Lindariel, and I could see him as a Hobbit very easily. He's a very versatile actor and would bring depth to the character as well as 'looks'. The last episode of 'The Office' and his reunion with Dawn shows how subtle and serious he can be where needed. I wonder who PJ has on his shortlist?

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:16 pm

There is a list of actors to vote for at TOR.n, and Ian Holm's son is a candidate. I know nothing of him, however.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:51 am

He's a very long shot - Barnaby Holm doesn't appear to have made a film or acted in anything since 1989 according to Imdb :roll: . Imdb is often out of date but not that out of date :lol: .

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:53 pm

It looks like Guillermo Del Toro is pretty much confirmed to direct, according to TOR.n. Any opinions about what this means?