The Hobbit - The Movie: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion of The Hobbit: a good place for Tolkien beginners to start
Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

I thought it was very encouraging as well. The fact that he sees the 'legacy' of the first films as a reason to do the next two, not a burden to carry is really positive :D .
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

lyanness

Post by lyanness » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Del Toro wrote: “I’ve turned down huge franchises in the past because there are parts of that world I don’t gel with. The reason I took Blade 2 is because I love the characters that Stephen Norrington created and the actors he used. That times ten is the reason why I’m interested in The Hobbit”

I'm feeling quite guilty. Maybe I underestimated Del Toro. He does sound a bit like PJ. Loving the characters means that he'll do the movie justice. I actually hope that he becomes part of the team - if the movie is allowed to begin production at all. Once again, I should have had faith in Pete. He definately knows what he's doing, even if all of us say :shock: .

I'm rooting for you, Del Toro!! :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:55 pm

Strange but while looking for tolkien news I came across many articles to do with Turbine Inc a company who creates Tolkien video games. Many articles are titlted "Turbine and Tolkien Estates sign new deal for Hobbit". I'll be ripping mad if the gamers get a Hobbit and we don't. :x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:54 pm

From the article Guillermo Del Toro on 'The Hobbit': 'We are all in sync and eager to move forward'

While interviewing writer-director Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) about his upcoming summer sequel Hellboy II: The Golden Army, EW.com chatted him up about hisinvolvement with The Hobbit. While no deal has been set —"We're still in these protracted negotiations," Del Toro says — the fantasy fiend did offer a few promising hints.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So where do things stand with you directing The Hobbit?
GUILLERMO DEL TORO: There have been a lot of discussions of cast and crew, agreements on the direction the movies would go, and if and when I come on board. But other than that, frankly it's all immaterial until everything is signed and put on paper.

Is the folding of New Line Cinema into Warner Bros. holding things up?
I think it played a role for a few days; being dramatic, I would say a couple of weeks. But the fact is [the movie is] a huge endeavor. It's about a half-a-decade of commitment. It's two movies back-to-back that are massive. So a lot has to be sorted out. All I can say is, creatively we are all in sync and eager to commit and move forward.

Does it look like it's getting any closer?
It does, it does. It's a little bit of a tango, a couple of steps forward, a couple of steps back. But at the very least, I have the illusion of movement. [Laughs]

Do you think it will all be resolved by, say, the summer?
I would hope so. I would be overjoyed if it's sooner that that. If it happened, we would definitely make public the [production] calendar.

Is one of the elements of the negotiation your involvement with the script?
Oh, no no no. That is pretty much sorted out. I will be involved, and so will the original team in some capacity. There's no discussion about that. It's more the planning of it, the calendar, but nothing as major as that.

And by the original team, you mean Lord of the Rings screenwriters Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens — you would be working with them?
I cannot comment on specifics, but yes.

© 2008 Entertainment Weekly and Time Inc.

You can read the entire article at EW.com

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 pm

He's clearly so involved in it all now that it just has to go ahead and with him at the helm. Even though it's not all signed and sealed (:-o< .

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:05 pm

According to Gandalf it's a done deal..sort of.

Mop that perspiring brow, Middle Earthlings. Sir Ian McKellen ends a saga that had become as protracted as the blockbusting Lord Of The Rings film trilogy: will he return as the benevolent wizard Gandalf in the keenly-anticipated adaptation of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit?

Sir Ian tells Pandora that he has reached advanced discussions, leaving only the paperwork to complete before he can dust off his wizard's robes: "It is sort of finished business really. I think I will be in the film." Speaking at a gala dinner for the gay rights charity Stonewall, he added: "The first film will be released in 2011 and the second in 2012. The first is The Hobbit, and the second connects the story to the [sequel] Lord Of The Rings, it brings it all together."

Sir Ian, who is 69 next month, said a fortnight ago only that he hoped to play Gandalf: "Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh [Jackson's producer partner] told me they couldn't imagine The Hobbit without their original Gandalf. Their confidence hasn't yet been confirmed by the director, Guillermo del Toro."

Last year, it was uncertain that the film would escape the Mordor-like hostilities between Jackson and the studio New Line, who were locked in battle over precious earnings. With that resolved, Jackson will executive-produce the final two instalments, production of which begins next year.

The first chronicles the adventures of Bilbo Baggins as he seeks to recover treasure from the dragon, Smaug. The last will more vaguely breach the chasm between that quest and the beginning of the Rings trilogy 80 years later – a cinematic exercise requiring vigorous scriptwriting. Old hobbits die hard, ho ho.

© independent.co.uk

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Hooray, hooray, hooray \:D/ :party:

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:41 pm

It's really going to be fun watching this develop! I loved your list of the dwarves over at VW, Riv Res. I'm kind of hoping they don't make them too dwarfy, if you know what I mean.
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 am

PJ certainly did use Gimli for comic relief, but I don't think he can do that with all of the Dwarves in TH, although Tolkien himself did make them rather comical at times. To be honest, I look for 12 unknowns and the only (perhaps) bigger name actor would be Thorin.

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 pm

I think that's most likely the case, and only a few will be 'characters' and the others fillers. There's too many of them to develop them all!

I know exactly what you mean by too 'dwarfy', Merry. They aren't like the LotR and Silmarillion dwarves at all. I'm sure they'll veer as far away from 'Snow White' as possible.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:22 pm

What's your take everyone? Will PJ & Co try to make the story more adult so that it perhaps dovetails better with the LOTR trilogy, or will this indeed be a children's tale?

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Riv, I think it isn't so much a "children's story" versus an "adult story." The Hobbit is an entirely different sort of adventure from LOTR. From Bilbo's point of view, it's basically one very long extended business transaction that involved a good bit of travel, occasional dangers in the wild (the trolls, the spiders, etc.), one big nasty -- Smaug, and ended with an unexpected war. The whole tone of the tale is lighter because it doesn't have the menace of Sauron hanging over it the entire time.

Thorin's party was prepared to deal with the bandits and ruffians one expected to encounter in the wild, as well as the potential for goblins in the mountain passes. But they weren't traveling under the imminent threat of war, as was the Fellowship.

I think the difference in attitudes between Thorin & Co. and Gimli can be explained by these circumstances. Thorin & Co. are seeking to take back their ancestral homeland from a marauding dragon -- they have a score to settle with him, but otherwise, their goal is to accomplish their travels as thriftily as possible (they certainly aren't nearly as wealthy as they used to be), and hence they tend to bicker and squabble all along the way.

Gimli's folk have been dealing with increasingly threatening messages from Sauron, and he KNOWS he's going to eventually be involved in the a war that may mean the complete destruction of life as they know it. That tends to sharpen one's focus and cut down on the nonsense. Nonetheless, Gimli and Legolas bicker for a good deal of the first leg of the trip until Legolas at last gets a taste of the deep grief and loss of the dwarves in Moria, and Gimli becomes enchanted by the wonder that is Galadriel.

I think it will be PJ & Co's task to gradually darken the tale of The Hobbit -- just as The Professor himself does -- so that by the time we get to the Battle of the Five Armies, the stage has been set for the story to become a great deal darker and more intense for the Hobbit sequel movie that ties the two stories together.

Does that make any sense at all, or am I babbling?
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 pm

A great explanation, Lindariel. I think you are absolutely right. The tale grows in the telling.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:05 pm

I like the way you think Lindariel. :wink:

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:37 am

I know I have mostly presented myself here as a somewhat serious, scholarly person, but here is where I reveal the depths of my superficiality. :oops:

There is the potential to have many male actors in The Hobbit with, as Riv Res has named it, a certain hubba-hubba factor. So I wonder if it is possible to make the dwarves, you know, cute, hot, whatever it is that the kids are calling it these days. :oops: They made the hobbits cute, hairy feet and all. Can this be done with dwarves?