The Hobbit - The Movie: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion of The Hobbit: a good place for Tolkien beginners to start
Merry
Varda

Re: The Hobbit - The Movie: Speculation and Discussion

Postby Merry » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 pm

There are a lot of pictures from TB5A (The Battle of the Five Armies!) at TOR.n today:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/10/24/93363-check-out-27-new-images-from-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-visual-companion-and-official-movie-guide/

Thorin is looking positively Shakespearean in one of them!
1 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:51 am

Here is a quote from John Howe that I copied from TOR.n that they copied from one of the spin-off books about TB5A:

"The relationship between Tauriel and Kili,” says John Howe, “is like one of those love stories when people think they are falling in love when, in fact, they are actually falling out of love with everything else around them, and the only sympathetic face is someone who they would never choose in any other circumstance… So, it’s a kind of ‘almost-love-story’ with the potential to be tragically moving.”

This really made me think. I find this a plausible explanation. In fact, I think I've done this! :?

What do you think?
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 am

C'est une bonne et brève explication très plausible si l'on croit à l'existence inventée du personnage de Tauriel qui ,je crois ,n'existe nulle part dans l'écriture de Tolkien, est-ce que je me trompe?
1 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Merry wrote:There are a lot of pictures from TB5A (The Battle of the Five Armies!) at TOR.n today:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/10/24/93363-check-out-27-new-images-from-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-visual-companion-and-official-movie-guide/

Thorin is looking positively Shakespearean in one of them!

Opps the images have been removed.

" So, it’s a kind of ‘almost-love-story’ with the potential to be tragically moving.”

This is interesting. I think it is obvious that the "tragic" factor is what PJ et all were going for. It will be tragic enough of course with Thorin's death too but young love...?

Coline you are correct. Tauriel is not in any of Tolkien's writings.
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 pm

vu à la librairie FNAC une encyclopédie de Tolkien et du Hobbit, et beaucoup de versions écrites des films de P.Jackson sur ce sujet, avec références aux textes des oeuvres antécédentes. Est-ce bien utile? (Le prix est raisonnable pour l'encyclopédie, me laisser tenter?)
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:21 pm

I have such an encyclopedia and I do find it useful, especially for all the historical back story.
1 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:01 am

I just read at TOR.n that Armitage has been sending out tweets that suggest there is a possibility that Thorin doesn't die at the end of Hobbit 3. Really? I think this is mean!
0 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Avez-vous pu entendre la mélodie magnifique du générique de fin du dernier volet de Hobbit, ''The last goodbye'' chanté par 'Pippin', Billy Boyd? Une merveille!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm

I have listened to a fragment of it and liked what I heard very much. I'm so glad that the lyrics are at least related to Tolkien's poetry and having Billy Boyd sing it is a great choice. It seems both beautiful and sad--perfect tone.
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:18 pm

C'est un chant qui conviendrait à des funérailles, j'avais choisi pour les éventuelles miennes 'Into the west' mais celle-ci est autant jolie pour un départ 8) mais je veux dire bonsoir sur une note plus gaie: ''Mae Govannen' je crois est un salut optimiste ou un remerciement( si vous connaissez la vraie signification, merci de me la donner) bye :) :) :) :)
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:17 am

'Mae govannen' is more of a greeting--it literally means 'Well met'.

But it's a lovely idea to use these songs in rituals. I recently read of a wedding where they used Shore's 'Concerning Hobbits' music as a processional.
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:09 pm

ça yest! les affiches de ''Hobbit'' la bataille des cinq armées'' sont sur les murs et panneaux d'affichage, j'ai hâte de voir çà et d'acquérir le cd d'Howard Shore, mis en vente sur Amazon, youpi!! :clapping:
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Vu la présentation du dernier volet qui a l'air très bien, donc vivement le 10 Décembre! mais , néanmoins, ma préférence va encore et toujours à l'ambiance magique , universelle et impressionnante que m'a provoqué le superbe Seigneur des Anneaux, me faisant découvrir Tolkien et sa formidable imagination, incroyable talent de conteur, et la profusion de détails qu'il fournit dans l'écriture de ses romans.
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 am

You'll see it well before I do, Michka. You'll have to post a review! No doubt that we'll find LOTR to be better, but maybe there will still be some memorable moments.
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:17 pm

J'ai mis et développé ce que je pense de ce 3ème volet, qui m'a déçue; une longueur injustifiée à mon avis, qui est personnel, évidemment, sur la rubrique de VW :evil:
0 x

Return to “The Hobbit”