The Hobbit - The Movie: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion of The Hobbit: a good place for Tolkien beginners to start
Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon May 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Thank you so much for pulling this together, Philipa! I feel very optimistic about these two movies after reading the Q&A. And, as another 'dragon lover' I just can't wait to see Smaug :D .

I think the films are in very good hands and I can see Jackson's point about competing against his own work if he was directing himself.
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Rings actor keen to work on latest films
American actor Viggo Mortensen, who played Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings, says he would happily reprise his role for Peter Jackson if asked.
"I'd rather not have another actor play the part that I started out playing for Peter Jackson. And I had a lot of friends from that experience, so it would be nice to work with them again," Mortensen told website Reelz Channel.

The Hobbit and a second film detailing 60 years between the end of The Hobbit and the start of The Lord of the Rings, will be largely shot in Wellington in 2010.

Aragorn does not appear in The Hobbit, but the second film might include the first time Aragorn meets elf princess Arwen – played by Liv Tyler in The Lord of the Rings, when he meets Gandalf the wizard and when he fights for the kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor under the alias of Thorongil.

"It's possible that they might ask me and some of the others to be part of it."

Guillermo del Toro, the director of the two films, has said he was in talks with Mortensen and others, but Mortensen said he had not heard directly from anyone involved.

© The Dominion Post: New Zealand

Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 am

:D :D :D

How long is it until the Hobbit? Image

elentarivarda

Post by elentarivarda » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Too long! :D

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:03 pm

It will be interesting to see if Viggo is in this or not, but I'm sure our sister website at V-W has discussed all the angles of this! My personal take: I think I would try to cast a younger actor for Rivendell Aragorn. But when Aragorn and Arwen meet again in Lothlorien and pledge to each other, wasn't Aragorn just returned from a long, bad sojourn in Mordor? That could make a Dunedain look his age!
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:11 pm

I think there is only one Aragorn. If they cast anyone else in that part, at whatever age (should the character be in the new movie duo), it would be at their peril and the doom of the enterprise. How do you spell b-o-y-c-o-t-t?

IMHO. :wink:

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Spoken (or written!) like a true V-fan! :wink: ha! We've always talked of V being a chameleon--maybe we'll see how far that goes!

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:09 pm

If anyone can do it, Viggo can :lol: . Maybe they'll fudge the story a bit so that he's older when he first meets Arwen (which would be heresy, he has to be young, ardent and full of the discovery of who he is...) or not show that first meeting at all?

After that, though, if it ain't Viggo I will be completely crushed. But I bet it will be :D .

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:21 pm

I was thinking that maybe they would skip the first meeting in Rivendell where there might be problems youthening both Viggo and Liv (although we know Elves are timeless), and concentrate on the meeting in Lothlorien where Aragorn is 49. You can't include everything in the movie anyway. Movie Aragorn can simply mention to Arwen that he has loved her since he was 19...and the movie can cover what develops on Lothlorien. :wink: :D

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:52 pm

On another front, TOR.n has a survey asking how the makers of the Hobbit movies should deal with the talking animals, such as would be found at Beorn's house. Would having talking animals endanger the seriousness of the movies?

Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:12 pm

I would think that between PJ and del Toro (and WETA), they would have no problems with the CGI. I think that given the use of good dramatic voices, any obstacles could be overcome...but...Merry, I think that TORn is leading us to a topic deserving of much discussion. And, that is how do they transition the story written for children, and with a definite juvenile edge to the deadly serious and adult world of LOTR?

I think this could be a bigger quandry than we imagine. If PJ and dT emphasize the adult themes on The Hobbit, they risk losing the true heart of the book. PJ remained true (pretty much) to Tolkien in LOTR. Wouldn't they want to keep the same focus in The Hobbit? I would think so.

But...then again...how do they pull in the young adult and adult crowd that flocked to LOTR if they make a children's story? My quess is that the beginning of the first film will have a lighthearted and young feel to it, with only hints at darker things to come. I would also guess that the first movie will take a decided turn to the adult when we meet Smaug. Oh, I think the Bilbo/Smaug banter inside the Lonely Mountain will be light enough and fun...but the instant Smaug roars out of that mountain, we will experience a true shift to adult tone and content which will carry over to the second movie.

Am I all wet? :wink:

Thoughts?

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:05 am

I agree that this will be a difficult balance to achieve. But I also think that if they wait until Smaug, it will be difficult to make the transition. There are plenty of dark elements before that: e.g., in the recent Hobbit Calendar post, Bilbo sees a goblin head stuck on Beorn's gatepost and a warg skin nailed to a tree. Not exactly children's fare!

Tolkien seems to want it to be a children's story AND an adult adventure at the same time. Can this be done?

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 pm

I think the nub of the problem here is the different medium. There's a big difference between reading about something horrible (the head on the post) and actually seeing it. I think that even if Del Toro is absolutely true to the events of The Hobbit and the tone of the book, it will still be something not suitable for children as young as those that first had the book read to them when they were kiddies.

Counterbalancing that is the fact that kids are pretty desensitised to scary stuff these days and most kids will still happily be able to see it with their mums and dads. I think over here it will end up with the same rating as LotR.

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm

I would think the capture by the goblins on the High Pass in the Misty Mountains, Bilbo's encounter with Gollum, the escape out the "back door," and then the warg/goblin attack should all be quite scary and dark. Also, the sojourn through Mirkwood should be very creepy, then turning quite horrible when they encounter the huge spiders. And this is all BEFORE they get to good ol' Smaug.

No, I'm not at all concerned about the transition from the care-free Shire at the beginning of The Hobbit to the darker tone of FOTR. And remember, that starts out rather care-free as well!
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:48 pm

You know, in a way, the first chapter of Hobbit is a bit darker than the first chapter of LOTR. The unexpected party, a.k.a., the dwarves' invasion of Bilbo's pantry, is definitely not as pleasant as the birthday party.