The Hobbit - The Movie: Speculation and Discussion

Discussion of The Hobbit: a good place for Tolkien beginners to start
Riv Res
Manwë

Post by Riv Res » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Will PJ and dT make the Dwarves the comic relief as he did with Gimli? Kind of hard when Thorin is SO serious.

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:21 pm

I didn't approve of what they did to Gimli, but I think PJ and dT have some options since there are MANY dwarves with different personalities. Tolkien himself makes Bombur comic; Thorin verges on the arrogant; Balin is often wise and kind to Bilbo; Fili and Kili are young and friendly. If they don't make distinctions among all these dwarves and just let them be amorphous, that would kill the movie.

(I still also think they've got to find a way to make them cuter than Gimli was!)
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Kirill Leonov

Post by Kirill Leonov » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 pm

I guess cute is hard when there's a long beard in the way, even if the beard is fluffy... :lol: :wink:
Yes, Bombur definitely is the fun factor there. So I doubt Thórin will feel any comical urges. :)

Well, Gimli has his slightly comical scenes in the book too, like when they should be blindflded in Lórien, or when he wants to attack Éomer with an axe about Galadriel. So I did not mind so much.
Tracking the sun in his galleon and travelling the skies
'Til his splendour was shorn by the birth of morn and he died with the dawn in his eyes

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Actually I'm re-reading LoTR now and have been particularly struck (as I never was before) by the fact that Gimli has many comic moments so PJ et al weren't so far off the mark, though they made too much of it.

I think Thorin will be, hopefully, kept above the comedy and Bombur will get the brunt of it.

I'm intrigued to see if they look more like the dwarves in LoTR or more like those described in The Hobbit (with the Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho factor...).
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Iolanthe wrote:Actually I'm re-reading LoTR now and have been particularly struck (as I never was before) by the fact that Gimli has many comic moments
One of the things I loved when I first read LOTR was the humour and friendship between Gimli and Legolas. But the more I look into it, eg at the moment by working on the Hobbit Calendar, the less I like the dwarves in The Hobbit. One or two have redeeming features but en masse I find them rather unpleasant to poor old Bilbo!
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:18 am

marbretherese wrote:But the more I look into it, eg at the moment by working on the Hobbit Calendar, the less I like the dwarves in The Hobbit. One or two have redeeming features but en masse I find them rather unpleasant to poor old Bilbo!
But my dear, we're talking a journey with the same great peril but riches beyond their wildest dreams which are to be re-claimed if successful. I'd be hugely serious and expect a lot from a burglar myself.

I think the childlike humor in these books is by the actions of a few dwarves and not by what they say. It's physical humor which just maybe was the style of humor in childrens books of the time.
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Kirill Leonov

Post by Kirill Leonov » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Those dwarves might be the hairiest movie cast ever since the Ewoks... :lol:
'Til his splendour was shorn by the birth of morn and he died with the dawn in his eyes

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:30 pm

:lol: But nowhere near as cute!

Kirill Leonov

Post by Kirill Leonov » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Ok, good point. I don't expect them to go "Eeeep!" and do group-huggles. :lol:

hope

Post by hope » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Just wondering has anyone read about the proposed movie into two parts ie first one ending at Smaugs death and the second starting with the Battle of the five armies...instead of the Hobbit and a bridging movie :)

http://www.theonering.net/
What have I got in my pocket?

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm

That's news to me, hope. Whereabouts on thonering.net did you see it? I hope it's not true and they are not going to chop off the end of the Hobbit so it can form the beginning of the next film. I can't really see that working :? .

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:26 pm

I agree Iolanthe! We really do need to see Bilbo coming home to that HUGE auction in his front yard and to hear Gandalf say, "And why should not they [the prophecies that the River would run with gold] prove true? Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!"

We MUST come back from the epic and the sublime to the normal and everyday, after all . . . just as LOTR ends with Sam and Rosie and Elanor by the fireside and "Well, I'm back."
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:21 am

That's it - that's exactly why I feel it wouldn't work. Bilbo has to come home at the end of the adventure. You can't leave it so that a forms the middle of another film and make people wait for it. It's a not huge saga like LotR but a straightforward adventure story that has to have an end for Bilbo, not just Samug.

I wonder if it's a sign that they are stuggling to find enough valid and, more to the point, available material for the second film without it?

Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:16 pm

I think this is just another example of the incautious way that GdT thinks and speaks. Somebody asked him about the movies and he threw out what he thought was a joke: Smaug dies at the end of it, right? Ha ha. I guess I don't take this seriously, but his lack of care for his material is starting to annoy me.
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:50 pm

I have come across a wonderful piece of fan fiction that proposes a very interesting solution to the difference in "tone" between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. What if the more childlike tone of The Hobbit came about because of Bilbo's desire to "sanitize" the story of his adventures so as not to frighten his small cousins and other hobbit children who begged to hear his strange tales?

If you like that idea, visit this link to the website "Stories of Arda" to read Dreamflower's "Roast Mutton Revisited," a rendition of how Bilbo's encounter with the Trolls REALLY happened:

http://www.storiesofarda.com/chaptervie ... &cid=25607
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”