Art & Artists Inspired by J.R.R.Tolkien

Studies of the Art and Artists Inspired by the Writings of J.R.R.Tolkien
Merry
Varda

Post by Merry » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes, the image of Saint Sebastian full of arrows was a common one--good connection, Lindariel. He was not hanging, though, but simply tied to a tree or pole. And strangely enough, this didn't kill him: he was nursed back to health and then was martyred again later on! And he is now the patron saint of archers. 8)
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Merry, I found several paintings of Saint Sebastian in which he is very much elevated up onto a pole. If his arms had been spread out, he would have appeared crucified. In one, he had so many arrows in him it would simply have been impossible for him to have survived. Given your account of the story of Saint Sebastian, I think this artist was probably a bit overwhelmed by his subject!
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Parmastahir

Thanks!

Post by Parmastahir » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:28 am

What an absolutely wonderful discussion! I had no idea that these facts would arise from a simple illustration. I guess the folks at S.T.E. had an idea to create illustrations from the "lesser works" (Roverandom, Smith of Wootton Major, UT, etc) rather doing the same old same old.

Thanks for the quote from UT!

And thanks for the comments on St. Sebastien being the patron saint of archers.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Parmastahir

May CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Mon May 03, 2010 12:02 am

Hardly seems possible that April has come and gone, and May has arrived. Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Here's your chance to walk down memory lane with a calendar that is today somewhat rarely seen. Happy May to all!

Parmastahir
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 pm

thanks, Parmastahir! I enjoy Roger Garland's paintings and hadn't seen some of these. "Ulmo, Lord of the Waters" is a particular favourite of mine. Garland has an interesting vision - a bit over the top for some, but his style does grow on you!
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Fri May 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Catching up a bit late here!

Garland's Two Trees (April) has always been a favourite of mine, even with the mystifying megaliths around their base. They are really magical in his painting. I also love the Gandalf (November). If I remember rightly, this painting echoes the postcard from Switzerland that inspired Tolkien to create Gandalf in the first place? I've never seen the 'Chaining of Melkor' before (December).
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Parmastahir

June CotM

Post by Parmastahir » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Posted the Calendar of the Month for June at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Chose to post this issue to honor the June birthday of Fangorn, a wonderful gentleman and giant in the Tolkien world.

Parmastahir

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:45 am

It's a treat to see such a rarity and a very fitting birthday tribute to Fangorn, who is a rarity himself and always a pleasure to meet :D .

It makes me wish Tolkien had illustrated his work more - one of the many things (alas) he didn't have enough time for.

Philipa
Ulmo

Post by Philipa » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:50 pm

I always have enjoyed the 1974 Tolkien calendar. Like Iolanthe I wish Tolkien could have pursued more illustrations for his work.
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Parmastahir

August Calendar of the Month

Post by Parmastahir » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Hello to all -

Posted a WONDERFUL new Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This is a REALLY GOOD one!

Hope this finds all well.

Parmastahir

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Post by Lindariel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:18 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this wonderful calendar! I can hardly wait to receive my copy. DEFINITELY must also order a copy for a good friend of mine who is an artist and Tolkien afficianado, although not quite as obsessed as I.
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:21 pm

As you know from the Cor Blok thread I already have mine and have shamelessly already hung it up even though there is a long way to go until January :lol: .

A real treat for everyone, not just us hard core Cor Blok fans!

Parmastahir

This MUST Be A Good One . . .

Post by Parmastahir » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello Lindariel and Iolanthe -

The "thank you" should go to HarperCollins for publishing this little beauty and to the owners of the many Blok works shown therein (including the well-named Fangorn!) After seeing the illustrations within, I knew that this was a good calendar. I post in eleven different forums about the calendars, and this Calendar of the Month already has prompted more responses than I have previously seen. Thanks for looking in!

Parm

marbretherese

Post by marbretherese » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm not surprised the calendar has drawn such a strong response, Parmastahir. I too have my copy - although I'm being strong and not hanging it until January 1st. But I have read it and taken a good look at all the paintings in the meantime :wink:
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Iolanthe
Uinen

Post by Iolanthe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm not surprised either. It's terrific that Blok's been featured and I'm betting there will be many who have never seen his work before who will be absolutely enchanted.