Members' Art, Prose and Poetry

A place to post and discuss your own Tolkien inspired art and poetry.
Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:49 pm

What a jewel of a poem--very nicely done. I appreciate poems with structure. I'm presupposing that English is not your first language (am I right?), so that makes this achievement even better!

Kelkhatan--does your name have special meaning?

(And we'll ask our resident techie to check out why your notification option didn't work.)
0 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Kelkhatan

Postby Kelkhatan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:04 pm

thank you, :D now the notifcation works well.

I am sorry that you immediatly recogniced that I am not a native speaker :(

I speak normally swiss-german :D but my heart beats for english especially in books and films.

I hope I can still improve my english, so that you won't know it from the beginning that I am not :D

Greetin Kel

PS. There will be more poems soon... but I don't want to spoil the party by putting them all in at once :D

PPS. The name comes from my character in WoW (I gave up playing) and I though it would fit here.
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Kel, I didn't guess that English wasn't your native language from your use of it. I did guess it because you said you were from Switzerland. I imagine your English is better than that of most Americans! (and definitely better than my German!)
0 x

Airwin

Re: More Work

Postby Airwin » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:46 pm

Kelkhatan wrote:Concerning the artwork:
I can see you've used a lot of techniques and mediums to get the effect. How did you do the grass at the bottom?

-I have to admit, the true art is only drawn with pencil, for better illustation I colored it in the trial version of Photoshop :D just to bring you more of the impression that was at this place. Other than that I used a HB Pencil and let my hand do the rest :D

Hi Kelkhatan! I think you did a great job of coloring that in on the computer. :clapping: I never would have known you did it that way. It's beautiful!
0 x
Namarie,

Airwin

Iolanthe
Uinen

Re: More Work

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:03 am

Kelkhatan wrote:
-I have to admit, the true art is only drawn with pencil, for better illustation I colored it in the trial version of Photoshop :D just to bring you more of the impression that was at this place. Other than that I used a HB Pencil and let my hand do the rest :D

Greetings

And it did it very well, Kel :D . Thanks for sharing the poem. I'm looking forward to more - it's nice to see another poem on this thread!
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Kelkhatan

just to put it at the right spot ;D

Postby Kelkhatan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Thoughts about prediction

“The sum of our past, the future of our sum, determines our present,
which changes the former and hence the future.”

Therefore the existence of choice is given as a natural lack of accuracy,
which is the forgetfulness of human beings. Due to this fact life is unique,
predictable only in a simplistic way that uses the real past events to foresee the future;
this results in a blurred picture of what could happen, and that procure the freedom of choice for us.

Ramseyer Fabian 08.06.03
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:12 pm

Yet another painting :D . I suggested something elvish and was thinking along the lines of beauty and tranquility but my mind wandered as usual and came up with something less comfortable:

The Mirror of Galadriel

© Iolanthe

I tried very hard to get away from film Frodo but he crept in without me even knowing it :roll: .
0 x

hope

Postby hope » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:05 am

Iolanthe, I do indeed like your Mirror. :D and I certainly don't think your representation of Frodo depicts from your painting at all. whilst our imaginations and Tolkien's descriptions develop images in our minds we are also influenced by PJ's films and perhaps not in a bad way either. :wink:
0 x
What have I got in my pocket?

Chrissiejane

Postby Chrissiejane » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:56 am

Iolanthe that is so powerful - it stops you in your tracks! Thank you for sharing it.
0 x
....her song released the sudden spring, like rising lark and falling rain, and melting water bubbling

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:54 am

Glad you like it! I nearly destroyed it by knocking a bottle of white ink over part of it and having to do a rescue and camouflage job :roll: .

I admit I was horrified when I saw a touch of Elijah there after trying so hard to ignore him. But my problem is that I have always seen Frodo as a rather older and more worn Elijah Wood :lol: .
0 x

Airwin

Postby Airwin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Iolanthe wrote:I admit I was horrified when I saw a touch of Elijah there after trying so hard to ignore him. But my problem is that I have always seen Frodo as a rather older and more worn Elijah Wood :lol: .

I think you captured him as older and more worn very well! :lol: I love the painting and I think you did a great job of repairing the ink damage. I can't even tell where it was!
0 x
Namarie,

Airwin

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:15 pm

This is getting to be an impressive series, Iolanthe! The 'stained glass' look really suits this one especially well. I like the circles.
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:52 pm

Talking about series.....any more poems in the offing, Merry, perhaps inspired by the elves :wink: .
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:38 am

Oh, my, the last one nearly did me in! But I'll try to tune into a Muse to see if anything comes to be.
0 x

marbretherese

Postby marbretherese » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:21 pm

© marbretherese

Here's my contribution - a watercolour showing how I first imagined Legolas and Gimli. Inspired by the conversation elsewhere on these forums about the colour of Legolas's hair. I realised I never imagined him with hair! Then I remembered that I never separated Legolas and Gimli, so of course Gimli had to be included in the picture too . . . Legolas is a sort of cross between Robin Hood and the Flower Fairies, while Gimli owes a lot to Disney, I feel. Well, I did first read LOTR back in the Seventies!!! :lol:
Last edited by marbretherese on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back.
But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy."

http://www.marbretherese.com
http://marbretherese.blogspot.com/

Return to “Members' Art, Prose, and Poetry”