Tolkien in General

A place for general Tolkien discussion and also a place to ask questions
Merry
Varda

Re: Tolkien in General

Postby Merry » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Moi, aussi, Michka! I will read the Lothlorien chapters tonight, I think. What a mystical place.
1 x
Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 pm

I started the Sil last night. But I could have reread anything Tolkien has written and enjoyed myself. :D
1 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Je suis dedans aussi, pas facile à démêler tous ces personnages, esprits, créateurs, démons, ou anges, et les noms :!: on s'y perd parfois...Il y a un lexique bien utile en dernières pages. Je dois dire que jusque là j'avais surtout retenu l'histoire extraordinaire et romantique de Beren et Luthien, et retourner au début demande un effort mais et je persiste :wink: :wink: :help: je serai bien aise d'avoir vos explications par moments, merci (:-o<
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Just ask specific questions in the Silmarrilion chapter or General threads Michka. :D
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 pm

I have to tell you all about my experience yesterday. I was in our local used book store yesterday and there was a family in line in front of me, a father and two boys, about ten and seven years old. They were buying their first set of LOTR! I asked the boys if this was their first reading and they said it was. They were very excited! The younger one was actually jumping up and down! They got the four-volume set of The Hobbit and LOTR for $6.99--lots of return on that investment! :D
0 x

Lindariel
Location: The Hall of Fire, Imladris (otherwise known as Northern Virginia)

Postby Lindariel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 pm

I spent Tolkien Reading Day with Tolkien ART! I took out all of my Tolkien-related art books and just glutted myself on images. For some reason, I was particularly drawn to anything depicting ships. Perhaps thinking of Frodo and the other Ringbearers sailing off to the Undying Lands.
0 x
Lindariel Image

“Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be.”

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Thu May 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Happy Coronation Day to King Elessar! :D
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu May 01, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm always impressed by the role of Faramir in the coronation ritual. I'm away from my books, but doesn't he hand over the scepter and say something like, 'The last steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office'? To me, this is the symbol of his reaction when he is cured of the Black Breath by Aragorn, wakes up, somehow mysteriously recognizes him as the true king, and utters the famous line, 'Who would lie idle when the King has returned?' Lovely lines that express an even more lovely attitude toward power.
1 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri May 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Merry wrote:I'm always impressed by the role of Faramir in the coronation ritual. I'm away from my books, but doesn't he hand over the scepter and say something like, 'The last steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office'? To me, this is the symbol of his reaction when he is cured of the Black Breath by Aragorn, wakes up, somehow mysteriously recognizes him as the true king, and utters the famous line, 'Who would lie idle when the King has returned?' Lovely lines that express an even more lovely attitude toward power.

Yes I agree Merry, Faramir is so humbled by Aragorn but knows his duty of steward (which he held for what... a few months?) is over. I love Faramir. I wish the coronation scene had be at least more accurate in PJ's movie. :roll:
1 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Fri May 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Je vais voter, reconnectée à nouveau :D
0 x
Tout ce que nous avons à décider c'est ce que nous devons faire du temps qui nous est imparti

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Fri May 02, 2014 10:09 pm

You must be referring to our Pick Your Favorite Valar poll. Great! :D
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi, all! Hope you're having a great summer. It's been kind of quiet around here and I think we've dropped the ball on our Silmarillion discussion, me included! I'll do some reading and make some contributions soon, promise!

On Monday, I gave a little talk about Tolkien to a group of about thirty people. It was interactive and pretty fun! After it was over, a college student came up to talk. He said he had read LOTR and The Hobbit, and tried to get through the Sil but had put it aside. He wanted to know if there was anything else he could read by Tolkien. I told him there were some other things, but that the reality is that there is nothing anywhere as good as LOTR and he should just get used to being disappointed about that. As I was driving home and thinking about the evening, I was saddened all over again that there is no more Tolkien to read!

There were also a few very knowledgeable Tolkien fans there who were fun to talk with and had some great insights. One told his small group that he had read LOTR around twenty times; they were astounded and asked him why he did that, and he answered that it was because it was THAT GOOD! Gotta love those Tolkien fans!
1 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:32 am

I just wanted to report that I ordered Beowulf and received it today. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it--school has started!--but it is one of the most beautiful books I've seen in a while, with Tolkien's elegant dragon drawing on the front. I know people have problems with Christopher and the Tolkien Estate on occasion, but this publication is really well done! :clapping:
0 x

MICHKA

Postby MICHKA » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 am

J'ai lu le poème épique , puis vu le film extraordinaire tiré par Robert Zemeckis, scénario de Neil Gaiman et Roger Avary, un livre fort intéressant en est sorti, plus facile à lire: ''La légende de Beowulf. On sent bien l'influence qu'en a subie Tolkien pour son grand récit Le seigneur des anneaux, et sa façon d'interpréter des épopées , évènements avec son style, sa théorie particulière sur les héros, sa sagesse et sa mesure sur l'Héroïsme juste et humble mais courageux et pur, invincible, et triomphant!
0 x

Merry
Varda

Postby Merry » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes, great description of the qualities of the story, Michka! I haven't read it since high school, many years ago, and I loved it then for being like Tolkien, not understanding how much Tolkien was influenced by it. I also remember the feeling of horror engendered by the monster.
0 x

Return to “Simply Tolkien”