What's New at Middle-earth Journeys

A place for general Tolkien discussion and also a place to ask questions
Riv Res
Manwë

What's New at Middle-earth Journeys

Postby Riv Res » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:45 am

I have added a new forum called Tolkien Scholastics that I think you will enjoy. Let's discuss some essays on Tolkien and his works. For the first insightful insallment, go HERE.
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:02 pm

I have just added a nother essay to the Tolkien Scholastics thread that I think you will enjoy. Let's discuss [url=http://middle-earth-journeys.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1200#1200] "My Hand is Ungentle": Éowyn and the Women of Middle-earth
[/url].
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:17 am

The Great Years Calendar: The Council of Elrond

We have special entries for The Great Years Calendar during the month of November. Be sure to visit the Calendar often. :wink: :D

October 25 is undoubtedly the single most important date in the early annals of the War of the Ring. This is the day that the Free Peoples of Middle-earth make a decision that will shape their future for all time. Differing ideas are debated; sobering accounts of the history of Middle-earth are told; mysteries are unraveled, and both fears and hopes are kindled. The reader is given more insight and history and motive in this one incredible chapter than anywhere else in Tolkien's epic tale.

Needless to say, one short Tolkien Calendar post cannot begin to express the significance of the Council, and so we will talk about it in installments. You will want to check in with the Calendar in the weeks to come and learn about the Council of Elrond from 4 different perspectives.

11-1-05: The Council of Elrond: The Players. Who were the key players in the Council? Why were they key players? What role did they play throughout the Council?

11-8-05: The Council of Elrond: Middle-earth History. What were the historical events that took place in Middle-earth and were discussed at the Council? What key historical events shaped the Council and it's results?

11-15-05: The Council of Elrond: The Decisions and Implications. What did the Council decide to do? What did they consider and throw out and why? What was the significance to the rest of the story.

11-22-05: The Council of Elrond: Tolkien's Literary History. How did Tolkien arrive at his final draft for the Council? What other versions did he consider and disgard and why? What was the literary significance of the final draft?

Join us for these fascinating Calendar posts in November.

Artwork: "The Council of Elrond" by Alan Lee
0 x

Techadmin
Aulë

Postby Techadmin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:24 am

Software Upgrade

I have just upgraded the board software. If there should be any trouble, please let me know in the Questions thread.
0 x
Dull: Someone who opens a dictionary, looks up a word, then closes the dictionary.

Techadmin
Aulë

Postby Techadmin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:38 pm

We're having trouble with the board e-mail after the upgrade, so I'm backporting to the old version a bit to see where the problem lies. So, there might be some weird error messages during the next couple of hours. :roll:
0 x
Dull: Someone who opens a dictionary, looks up a word, then closes the dictionary.

Techadmin
Aulë

Postby Techadmin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:59 pm

OK, the testing is done, so please report any other errors from now on.

After some testing, I can say that the e-mail problem also occurs with the old board software version. So, the error message has nothing to do with the current upgrade, but rather with the server's e-mail function. We have contacted our webhost and hope they can resolve the matter soon :D
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:14 pm

Just so everyone knows we are experiencing technical difficulties after our new version of PHP was installed. Our webserver host is working on the problem. We'll keep you abreast of the situation if it changes.

Even though you will recieved the warning about an e-mail being sent after you have posted...your post does go through as planned. The thread will be marked 'unread' although that is not true either.

It's all a bit crazy and we apologize for any frustrations it may cause you.
:goodman:
0 x
Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!

Thoughts from Eryn Lasgalen An online guide to all things Tolkien

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:50 am

MeJ is now fixed.
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:38 pm

A Bit of Fun

We have a new forum to announce. A Bit of Fun is for all our play here at Middle-earth Journeys. Feel free to jump in with conversation and add a thread or two with Tolkien related games, polls or sites to have fun with.

Also, please be aware we have moved our Tolkien Trivia into this forum as well. :D

Come play in A Bit of Fun
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:53 am

The Council of Elrond: Tolkien's Literary History

"Rivendell"

© David Wyatt

We have posted the final Calendar entry for The Council of Elrond. We will be begin anew on December when the Fellowship departs Rivendell on their quest for Mount Doom.
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:49 am

The Great Years Calendar Has Resumed As The Fellowship Of The Ring Again Takes Up The Quest

"The Fellowship"

© The Brothers Hildebrandt

We have once again resumed the journey of the Fellowship and The Great Years Calendar with the December 25th entry The Company of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk.
0 x

Philipa
Ulmo

Postby Philipa » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:23 am

My Apologies

I have been away from home for some time and have been lax posting our next chapter within our Lord of the Rings: Chapter By Chapter forum. The chapters will resume the first week of January.
Thank you for your patience
0 x

Iolanthe
Uinen

Postby Iolanthe » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 pm

Artist in Profile

Ted Nasmith

With so many wonderful Tolkien artists out there each with their own unique visions of Middle Earth for us to enjoy, I’m starting a new occasional series Artist in Profile where I will be featuring each artist and their work and posting some of their art for us to look at and discuss. Since we are already talking about Ted Nasmith on the Art and Artists thread his luminous and epic paintings are a very good place to for us to start.

Come and join us and take a fresh look at Middle-earth! :D
0 x
Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather...

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:35 pm

Tolkien and the Natural Powers of Middle-earth

© Roger Garland

Please join us in the new Tolkien and the Natural Powers of Middle-earth thread in the Simply Tolkien Forum. :D
0 x

Riv Res
Manwë

Postby Riv Res » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Artist in Profile

Anke-Katrin Eissmann

Our latest Artist in Profile is Anke-Katrin Eissamann whose beautiful and delicate watercolour work first came to the attention of Tolkien fans via the internet. Come and find out more about this promising young German artist in our new Anke-Katrin Eissmann Thread in the Tolkien Artists Forum. So that we can chat about these artists for as long as we like we will now be starting new threads for each our featured artists :D .
0 x

Return to “Simply Tolkien”